VUMC J-1 Exchange Visitors (EV) Information
The Exchange Visitor, J-1, non-immigrant visa category is for individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to foster global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges. All exchange visitors are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program in order to share their exchange experiences.
Preparing to Apply
Before completing the Exchange Visitor Application please make sure you have the following documents available for upload:
- Exchange Visitor’s Personal Information Form
- Exchange Visitor's English Proficiency Documentation
- Visa Deemed Export Questionnaire
- Appointment Letter or Letter of Invitation
- Proof of Financial Support, if prospective Exchange Visitor is not supported entirely by VUMC funds
In addition, if the Exchange Visitor is a transfer they must complete the VUMC SEVIS Transfer Form. Transfers include those who are currently in the United States in an Exchange Visitor Program (EVP) and those wishing to change departments within VUMC.
The requesting department should ensure that both the Exchange Visitor Personal Information and Visa Deemed Export Questionnaire are both current and complete before completing the Exchange Visitor Application.
If the Exchange Visitor will be sponsored wholly or in part by non-VUMC funds, a copy of the appointment letter and proof of financial support must be attached.
If the scholar is eligible, VUMC Immigration Services will prepare a Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) for the requesting department to mail to the scholar, along with the additional information provided by ISSS. The scholar will then take the DS-2019 to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for a J-1 visa and will enter the US in J-1 status.
English Proficiency Requirement
As of January 5, 2015 new regulations require that exchange visitors demonstrate sufficient English language proficiency to successfully participate in this program and to "function on a day-to-day basis" [22CFR62.11(a)(2)].
This requirement can be met in one of two ways for VUMC Exchange Visitors:
- Submitting results of a recognized English language test – TOEFL or IELTS (TOEFL – 550 paper; 213 computer; 79 internet; IELTS – 6.5);
- Submitting signed documentation from an English Language school or an academic institution
Important Forms & Links
- VUMC SEVIS Transfer Form
- VUMC Exchange Visitor Personal Information Form
- VUMC Exchange Visitor Application
- VUMC Visa Deemed Export Questionnaire