Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > Immigration > J-2 Employment

J-2 Employment


J-2 dependents of J-1 Exchange Visitors may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for work authorization, provided the income from such employment will be for the support of the dependent(s), and not for the principal J-1.

Application Materials

  • VUMC J-2 Form I-765
  • Form G-1145
  • $410.00 check or money order payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security
  • 2 Passport-style photos
  • Copy of DS-2019s for J-1 and J-2
  • Copy of I-94 (front and back) for J-1 and J-2
  • Copy of Passport I.D. page(s) for J-1 and J-2
  • Copy of Visa Stamp for J-1 and J-2
  • Copy of all previous Employment Authorization Documents (EAD cards)
  • Monthly Expense Budget – Monthly Budget Sample
  • Letter from J-2 stating why the employment is desired and that employment is not to support J-1
  • Once you have all application material you should meet with your International Adviser to review the application, and finalize your employment application packet.

You must mail the completed employment application packet to Immigration (USCIS) to one of the following addresses:

Address for Regular Postal Mail
USCIS, Dallas Lockbox
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

Address for Express Mail (i.e. FedEx, UPS)
Attention: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121; Business Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067
Phone: 1-800-375-5283

Do not begin employment until you received the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card for approved employment authorization. The EAD card is a license-sized picture card that indicates the approved employment start and end dates. Employment is not permitted before the approved start date or after the approved end date.

Example EAD Card

example EAD card

Length of Employment

USCIS practice is to limit issuance of all EADs to no more than 1 year. In any case, J-2 employment authorization may not exceed the program duration indicated on the principal's DS-2019, and is valid only if the J-1 is maintaining status.

Employment Extension

A J-2 dependent must file form I-765 with all supporting documents each time an extension of employment is necessary.


If permission for employment is granted, an EAD card is issued and is valid for any kind of full-time or part-time employment for the period of time stated on the EAD. Employment may begin only after receiving the physical EAD card approved from the USCIS.

Important Forms & Links

Back Home   

Government Links

Quick Link