Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > Immigration > Departure and Research Abroad

Departure and Research Abroad

J-1 Scholars who plan to continue their J-1 program at VUMC while outside the U.S. by continuing research abroad must notify VUMC immigration Services of the following information via the online VUMC Departure Form.

Once VUMC Immigration Services receives this information a staff member will contact the scholar's department supervisor for approval.

While Outside the U.S. - The Scholar Must:

Maintain health insurance and update VUMC Immigration Services with any address changes while abroad.

The Department Must:

Notify VUMC Immigration Services monthly to confirm that the scholar is maintaining valid program status and is making progress towards program completion.


If you are completing your program at VUMC and leaving the U.S. please complete the online VUMC Departure Form. After your program ends your DS-2019 will be inactivated and you will not be able to use the DS-2019 for reentry to the U.S. Please contact VUMC Immigration Services if you have any questions or concerns at

Important Forms & Links

Back Home   

Government Links

Quick Link