Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > Immigration > EAD Categories & E-Verify Information for I-765

EAD Categories & E-Verify Information for I-765

Vanderbilt University Medical Center is an E-Verify employer. As such, we are able to utilize the benefit of the STEM-OPT extension which allows certain employees in the disciplines of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, and who meet other specified requirements, to apply for a 24-month extension of their post-completion OPT. Therefore, these particular employees are eligible for 36 months of employment in the area of their academic discipline.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) and STEM-OPT extensions are granted by a foreign student’s university if they meet the requirements and the position that they will be employed in at VUMC is directly related to their field of study. Only the employee’s university is authorized to process and approved OPT work authorization (and STEM-OPT extension if they are eligible).

The employee’s supervisor at VUMC will need to work directly with the employee and their university to complete the I-983 form ( that is required for the STEM extension of OPT work authorization. The supervisor MUST complete Section 3 through Section 6 and sign the I-983 form. This completed form must be retained by the employee’s university (Designated School Official at their university). The Supervisor must also complete both evaluations on page 5 of the I-983 form at the appropriate times. Please see the USCIS website for information on the employer requirements at and also see the DHS Study in the States information page about STEM OPT at

Information that you may need to complete Section 3 of the I-983 form includes:
VUMC Employer ID Number (EIC) is 352528741
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code is 622110

The employee will need VUMC’s E-Verify information to complete their I-765 application form. The information they need from VUMC for this form is:
VUMC’s E-Verify Company Identification Number is 966810

If the employee has questions about the I-765 form or their STEM OPT employment/extension, please have them contact their DSO at their university for assistance.

Back Home   

Government Links

Quick Link