Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > International Tax > 1042-S and W-2 Tax Forms

1042-S and W-2 Tax Forms

International persons receiving payments from Vanderbilt University Medical Center will usually receive either a W-2 or 1042-S. International employees may receive both a 1042-S and W-2. Some internationals may receive one form, but not the other. International business persons or entities may receive other tax forms; those forms are not discussed on this page.

Form 1042-S reports taxable income for international persons who have received the following types of income:

  1. Wage payments made to employees who have claimed tax treaty benefits.
  2. Fellowship/Scholarship income received directly by the student beneficiary. This includes all income not applied directly to the tuition and fees.
  3. Independent personal services for work performed in the U.S.
  4. Royalty payments issued to individuals or entities.
  5. Non-employee Prize or Award payments

Not every international employee, student or scholar will receive Form 1042-S. It will only be provided to international persons who meet one of the five criteria listed above. Please review the list above before inquiring about your 1042-S to ensure that you are supposed to receive this form.

This tax year, Form 1042-S will be mailed to all Vanderbilt University Medical Center employees, students and scholars around March 1, 2015. Please verify your address in the Glacier tax database so that your 1042-S is sent to the correct address. Please wait until you receive the 1042-S to file your tax return even if you have a W-2 (remember, some employees may get both).

Form W-2 also reports taxable income.  This form is issued by Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s HR Processing Office (Payroll) no later than January 31 each year. The International Tax Office (ITO) does not issue this form. Be sure your address is correct in the payroll system before the end of the year so that your W-2 is sent to the correct address. Use C2HR to update personal information.

If you need a replacement W-2 tax form, choose one of the following options:

  1. Active employees can log into C2HR and click on the link for "Taxes" in the right sidebar. The online version of the W-2 tax form has the same information as the mailed W-2.
  2. Call the Employee Service Center at 615.343.7000. You can choose to have the replacement form mailed to the address on your W-2, or you can pick up the form at HR Express (you will need a photo ID).

Contact: Employee Service Center at 615.343.7000 or