Free tax preparation help for VUMC employees
Households earning $64,000 or less in 2016 can have their taxes filed for free with the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Program. All VITA volunteers are trained and IRS-certified to prepare basic tax returns.
How to Participate
Visit one of the 40 VITA locations in Middle Tennessee, including the Employee Service Center at 2525 West End Ave., 2nd floor, and VUMC Light Hall Room 407 A/B. VITA representatives will be at the Employee Service Center location on Tuesdays from 1-6 p.m. Feb. 14-March 28 and the Light Hall location on Thursdays from 1-6 p.m. Feb. 16-March 30. While you don't need an appointment, you will need to bring these items:
- Photo ID for both spouses, if filing jointly
- Original copies of Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers (for everyone on the return)
- Proof of Income (a W-2 for each employer during the tax year, 1099s, Social Security income, unemployment, interest, etc.)
- Proof of health insurance for 2016 (the 1095-C for each employer during the tax year)
- Proof of expenses if claiming any (childcare, education, medical, property tax, itemized deductions, etc.)
- Proof of mileage, if claiming any. This must be a written record. Please total any business expenses before arriving.
- Both spouses must be present if filing a joint return.
- Optional: Proof of health insurance for 2016 (the 1095-C for each employer during the tax year)
- Optional: last year’s tax return
- Optional: direct deposit information
United Way has a free, online option so you can file your taxes from the comfort of your home. Visit the My Free Taxes website to learn more.
Call the United Way by dialing 2-1-1 or contact the Employee Service Center.