Human Resources

Human Resources

Home > Payroll > Lost or Stale-Dated Check Procedures

Lost or Stale-Dated Check Procedures

Lost or stolen paychecks should be reported immediately to the HR Processing/Payroll Office so that a "stop payment" may be issued on the check. The employee will need to complete a Check Replacement Request form.

The following information, which is needed on the Check Replacement Request form, can be found in C2HR under Payments.

  • Employee Name
  • Employee Address
  • Employee ID Number
  • Date of Check
  • Check Number
  • Amount of Check

After confirmation that the check has not been cashed, the HR Processing/Payroll Office will process a replacement check. Coordination with bank "processing deadlines" can delay processing of replacement checks for up to 5 days.

Paychecks may be cashed or deposited up to 60 days from the pay date as shown on the check. After 60 days the checks become "stale" and a replacement check must be issued. VUMC will periodically notify departments or employees of "stale" checks which appear as outstanding on the bank reconciliation. Replacement of these checks requires the same procedures as those for lost checks.